Thursday, November 11, 2010

If you are Jewish, you should do Israel by Foot

Just landed back in the United States after spending 10 days in Israel, with an organization called Taglit Birthright Israel. The trip I signed up for is called Israel by Foot. 40 Jewish Americans meet up with 6-8 Israeli soldiers and students and travel all around the country (which is about the size of New Jersey) on a bus, in some of the most intense 10 days of my life. This trip is completely paid for, and Israel welcomes you with open arms. People actually say to you, "Welcome home". Sleep = no. Taking in more ideas and information than you thought you could absorb while becoming really close to a lot of peopel = yes. I haven't felt such an adventurous spirit in.. well... I guess a few weeks hahaha, but it sure does feel good. I'd love to be a trip leader in the future...
If you're between 22-26 years old and have even a tiny bit of Jewish heritage in your family, I really encourage you to go on this trip. Your perspective will magnify in ways you can't know until it happens, and you will make great friends in a land of deserts, thousands-of-years-old cities, hills, seas, kibbutzim, conflict, cemeteries. There is always a lot going on in Israel in terms of politics and religion, and it makes our lives seem very simple and safe.
All Israelis are required to join the army when they turn 18, and usually serve for 2-3 years. They are intellectually and emotionally wise beyond their years, far ahead of their American peers I would have to say. And hilarious. I never thought I'd become close friends with Israeli soldiers, but the past 10 days have allowed that to happen. I can't describe how I feel right now, the best I can do is say that I'm very grateful to have gone on this trip.

1 comment:

Andrew said...

Laura,

This comment is unrelated to the post it is attached to; I just could not find your email today and I have some news regarding your friend who is Moving to Minnesota:

Turns out one of our babysitters is going to be looking for a roommate in January. She lives near the U of M and is a great person. Very into local food and nutrition.

I got news of her looking for a roommate secondhand and am still waiting to hear back directly from her. I will try to get you her contact info as soon as possible so that your friend and she can communicate directly.

Also, in case this does not work out, there are also a few bulletin boards in the neighborhood that I could post with a "seeking room" flyer if your friend wants to create/email one to me:

andrew . koebrick [at] state . mn .us